Today Shaper of Stone became available on Amazon.com, and the proofs for the print copy are on their way to my doorstep.
I started writing the novel in 2012 and for the first few months the book was called Shapers. Well technically, at first it was just called the book, but that didn’t seem very catchy. It soon became The Shaper and finally changed to Shaper of Stone when I started to consider the possibility of a second book featuring some of the same characters.
I also fiddled with the cover art a number of times before coming up with the version that I finally decided to use. During my attempts, I created a quick guide to help others produce a cover. The guide can be found here.
While creating Shaper of Stone I used a lot of open source and/or free tools. The book was written with OpenOffice and the Cover was created in GIMP. I used Calibre to create a preview file I could read on my Kindle and used Ginger to help with the editing. For the most part everything worked well together. Ginger doesn’t natively support working with OpenOffice, but I was able to work around that with minimal effort.
It has been a great experience and I’m looking forward to continuing the process with Shaper of Air.